About this blog

And here I am, adding yet another blog to the long list of blogs that I seem to be miraculously managing amidst all my daydreaming. This one, however, is for the mundane day to day happenings

Wednesday 9 December 2009

Evolution

One of the joys of being an artist is that we get to watch what can be described as our own style gradually evolving. As children, most of us start off after being inspired by one or more of those art-Gods out there. As time advances, something unique to each of us starts showing in our work. Whether it is the good kind of unique or the bad kind of unique is what decides our success or failure in as an artist. Then again, the beauty of art, like that of any other form of beauty, lies in the eyes of the beholder. In the end, it all comes down to the Darwinian theory of natural selection. If the unique traits of the artist are appealing to the viewers and à la mode, they get passed on. If not, they face extinction. As simple as that

As a part time artist, I have been experimenting with umpteen different styles. Its not until recently, after art and storytelling became my first priorities, that I switched predominantly to a style that I felt I can do most justice to in terms of expressiveness. Of course, I am aware of the fact that I am nowhere close to my evolutionary best and perhaps there is no such thing as one's evolutionary best at all. The only thing one can do, I guess, is to keep competing with ones own best piece of work so far. That way you get to evolve in the direction you are meant to evolve instead of ending up as another poor man's Mr. X or poorer man's Ms. Y. The world, or nature, if you prefer putting it that way, cant possibly require more than one Mr. X or Ms. Y, can it? If it did, each of us wouldn't have been born different, right?

Okay.. time to get back to more mundane things. The day had been rather productive. Rosh, despite spending a good deal of his time waiting outside the burrow in the nearby field, hoping to get a clearer and closer picture of the lesser Indian civet, found enough time to finish two out of the three cover pages he is supposed to finish by the end of this week. They have come out really well too. Good job, bro. I am done with the letters for the first chapter of our graphic novel, and spent my spare time writing the script for a short comic. Its going to be a 4 page psychedelic shortie, and I hope to get it done during my leisure hours. Thats not all, folks; here is a piece I did during today's warm up session: link. Hope y'all dig it!

No comments:

Post a Comment